Friday, October 24, 2014

Inferencing Bottles

We talk a lot about making inferences in second grade so I decided to make some inference bottles.  I spray painted glass lemonade bottles black and spray painted the lids gold and then used a sharpie to write the numbers 1-4 on the top.  I put different things in each bottle.  In one I put paper clips, in another I put pens, in the third I put water and in the last one I put plastic coins (all things found in my classroom). 

We talked about what an inference is and about how we don't just make a random guess but we use the information and clues we have to make a decision about something. 

I gave each table a recording sheet where they had to write down each bottle number, their inference of what was in the bottle, and three reasons for their inference.  I started each table with a bottle and then when they had made their inferences we rotated the bottles so that each table go to make an inference for each bottle. 

They did surprisingly well!  And they came up with great reasons for the inference they had made!

The students loved this activity and it was a great way to reinforce that we can't make random guesses, that we have to have reasons when we are making an inference. 

Here are some pictures of the before and after of the bottles:

 

10 comments:


  1. Baca lebih lanjut mengenai kebaikan dan keburukan yang berada di bawah
    vitamin c
    sarang burung
    parut jerawat
    kulit kusam


    ReplyDelete

  2. Our scarf is the best for daily use. Check it out now.
    shawl
    bawal exclusive
    instant shawl

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m now not positive the place you are getting your info, however great topic. 온라인바둑이

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing. I found a lot of interesting information here. This a really good post, very thankful and hopeful that you will share more articles in future. Now it's time to avail https://beelinebuild.com/ for more information.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire what you have done here. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad to be a visitor of this unadulterated web site, thanks for this rare info!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I genuinely enjoy reading through your blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You make so many great points here that I read your article a couple of times.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your views are in accordance with my own for the most part.

    ReplyDelete